The goal of the HP LitFest is to inspire and encourage students, teachers, and the community to celebrate language in its artfully written, spoken, and sung forms. We believe that literary writing, distinct from other written forms, offers unique insight into the articulation of human experience and has its value not only in the story that it tells, but also in how the story is told. Consequently, the festival showcases and provides access to professional writers who offer substantive artistic content through either fiction or nonfiction, and who can offer guidance or inspiration with respect to the craft and the appreciation of literary writing.
In 1995, the Highland Park Literary Festival was born from a collaboration between interested parents and the English Department of Highland Park High School in Dallas. The HP LitFest is categorized as a 501(c)3 organization and your tax deductible contributions are greatly appreciated.
At the heart of the festival are over 60 workshops between students and accomplished novelists, journalists, poets, songwriters, and playwrights. Also, at a student-run open-mic night, students perform their own works. A writing contest and special awards breakfast recognizes outstanding student works of poetry, fiction, and narrative non-fiction.
Finally, the festival offers an evening of readings and conversation with our keynote speaker that is free and open to the public. Please make plans to hear our 2018 keynote speaker, Adam Johnson, on Thursday, February 22, 2018 at Highland Park High School.
The HP LitFest is made possible with the cooperation of the HPHS English faculty and by generous donations from
The HP LitFest would like to give special thanks to our Community Sponsors and Partners: Half Price Books, HPHS Cafeteria and The Magnolia Hotel.
Board of Directors, 2017-2018
- Amanda Lewis (co-chair)
- Jill Tananbaum (co-chair),
- Chantal Mara (treasurer)
- Christine Palmer (treasurer-elect)
- Judy Conner (secretary)
- Anne Besser (parliamentarian)
- Cindy Govett (publicity chair)
- Kathleen Whalen (workshop chair)
- Ashley Porter (workshop chair)
- Mia Bitterman (awards breakfast chair)
- Lynn Kupferschmid (book sales chair)
- Anne Besser (community event chair)
- Leonore Owsley (webmaster)
- Jenny Mader (registrar)
- TBA (development committee)
- Annie Staffaroni (volunteer co-chair)
- Margaret Lesesne (volunteer co-chair)
- Cindy Govett (parent book club liaison)
- Megan Lembcke (graphics & design chair)
- Elizabeth McKinney (historian)
- Megan Lembcke (print production chair)
- Jody Johansen (hospitality)
- Cindy Govett (open mic night chair)
- Barbara Hunt Crow (presenter’s dinner chair)
- Catherine Granger (member-at-large)
- Aaron Smith
- Jody Pendelton